Generic Medication guide:
What is the medication sold under the name Flovent?
Flovent is a brand of an inhaler used for asthma and nasal spray for allergic rhinitis based on the active agent Fluticasone. Fluticasone in its turn is an anti-inflammatory, anti-allergic, glucocorticoid agent that is available in different forms such as a nasal spray, inhaler, cream, and ointment. At this webpage, you can buy Flovent which is Fluticasone in a form of nasal spray prescribed namely for allergic rhinitis.
Although asthma can be managed by a variety of different medications, there are specific indications for Fluticasone use listed in the package insert:
- Mild asthma in individuals who need the periodical symptomatic use of bronchodilators daily;
- Moderate asthma in individuals who suffer from unstable asthma or aggravation of the condition against the background of performed preventive therapy or treatment with bronchodilators only.
- Severe asthma in individuals with severe chronic asthma or patients who depend on systemic corticosteroids for adequate control over the manifestations. The use of the inhaler can substantially lower the need of oral anti-asthma formulations use or allow even completely cease their use.
The inhaler is appointed for the prophylaxis anti-asthma treatment including the cases when hadn’t been achieved the sufficient control over the asthma symptoms by the already performed treatment with other medicines.
As for the nasal spray, the indication is sneezing, itching in the nose, nasal discharges or stuffy nose associated with an allergy.
Contraindications for Fluticasone use
Here you can find the contraindications for the inhalator and nasal spray use. If you need to buy Fluticasone in another form, i.e. spray, ointment or cream, please read the instruction for those products.
- The product is prohibited to be used by people, who are intolerant of the main or auxiliary substances in it, i.e. develop moderate to severe adverse reactions from the inhaler or nasal spray use.
- The inhaler must not be used as an emergency help in acute bronchospasm or status asthmaticus.
- The inhaled form of the medication is contraindicated to be used in children younger than one year.
The use of the inhaler is possible but only if a doctor approves in:
- Liver cirrhosis;
- Hypothyroidism (underactive thyroid);
- Systemic infections of bacterial, fungal or viral nature;
- Lung tuberculosis;
If you have any chronic conditions not listed here, please still inform your doctor about them as they may need certain therapy adjustments.
Flovent use instruction
The inhaler is aimed exclusively for intra-mouth inhalations. It should be used for the prophylaxis of asthma even if the asthma attacks are rare. Once you buy generic Flovent, you will find the guidelines on how to use the device in the package insert.
The start of the effect starts to develop shortly after the initiation of the therapy, within only 4-7 days.
If during the therapy the need of quick-acting inhalers increases, patients must inform their doctors as this means the aggravation of the condition.
Flovent is effective in the dosages two-fold lower than other inhaled corticosteroids. For instance, 100 mcg of Fluticasone approximately is equivalent 200 mcg of beclomethasone dipropionate (containing freon) or budesonide.
The initial dosage must correspond to the severity of the condition. It can be then raised to achieve control over the symptoms or lowered to the lower but efficient dosage to minimize the inhalations and the likelihood of adverse effects.
The recommended dosages are 100-1000 mcg twice a day. Usually, it is 2 inhalations twice a day for children older than 16 and adults.
In the relation to the increased likelihood of adverse effects, the doses over 500 mcg twice a day can be appointed only to adults with severe asthma if it is expected that the use of the inhaler can allow lowering the dosages or excluding at all the need of oral corticosteroids use.
Nasal spray use
The spray is usually used once daily by one dispersion per nostril unless otherwise appointed by a doctor. For the acute allergy, the nasal spray must be used daily. Once the symptoms improve, it can be used as needed.
The regular initial adult dosages from the official instruction by the severity of asthma:
- Mild asthma is usually managed with 100 mcg twice a day.
- Moderate asthma and severe persistent asthma can be started to be managed with 250-500 mcg inhaled twice a day. A respiratory therapist can appoint the dosages around 1000 mcg a twice a day or more but patients themselves are prohibited to elevate the dosages by themselves.
Once the expected control over the symptoms is reached, the daily dosage must be lowered to the minimum effective one.
The dosages over 1000 mcg or 500 mcg twice a day must be used through a spacer to minimize the adverse effects from the side of the throat and mouth.
The regular initial dosages for children from the official instruction by the severity of asthma:
- The standard dosage for children aged older than four years is 50-100 mg twice a day.
- Children for whom the regular dosage is insufficient can be appointed 200 mcg taken twice a day which is the maximum for children.
- Once the desired effect is achieved, the daily dosage must be lowered to the minimum effective one.
Elderly patients and people with kidney failure do not require dosage adjustments.
An acute overdose is manifested in the impaired adrenal cortex function but it doesn’t require treatment as the function of adrenals is restored on its own within several days. If an overdose occurred chronically, severe adrenal cortex impairment can occur which is manifested in seizures and fainting.
Once the symptoms of an overdose are eliminated, the drug can be continued to be used in the regular dosages.
Flovent adverse effects
Before you buy generic Fluticasone, you should know that it can sometimes cause certain adverse effects such as:
- Candidiasis of the mouth or esophagus, pneumonia, esophagus;
- Skin allergic reactions, itching, swelling, skin rash, bronchospasm, wheezing, and others;
- Hyperglycemia (an excess of glucose in the bloodstream);
- Anxiety, sleep disturbance, hyperactivity, irritability, and others;
- CNS adverse effects such as headache, unpleasant taste in the mouth;
- Nasal bleeding, hoarseness (to avoid it, it is advised to rinse mouth and throat after each inhalation);
- Symptoms caused by the use of excessive dosages for a long period of time are body mass increase, decrease in the level of endogenous cortisol, hyperglycemia or glycosuria, arterial hypertension, osteoporosis, cataract, glaucoma, increased intracranial pressure. These negative reactions are related to the adrenal cortex dysfunction which can be caused by the use of high drug dosages for an extended period of time.
Although there is a low chance of the significant interactions of other medicines with Fluticasone inhaler, it is still advised to consult a doctor before you order Flovent if you use any medications at the moment.
The inhaler’s effectiveness can be potentially influenced by the use of medications that inhibit the CYP3A4 enzyme such as Ritonavir, itraconazole, erythromycin, and others. The use of the inhaler with such medicines elevates the risk of systemic negative effects occurrence.
Special recommendations and precautions
Before you order generic Flovent for the use at home, you must check with your respiratory therapist that you use the inhaler properly. If you find it hard to synchronize the activation of the device with the inhalation, you can use a spacer, a device that facilitates the use of the inhalers.
The long-term use of any glucocorticoids especially in the high dosages can contribute to the onset of systemic adverse effects although their likelihood is much lower than in the oral use or glucocorticoids. The possible negative effects include suppression of the adrenal cortex function, Cushing's disease, growth retardation in kids and teens, glaucoma, and others including physiological or behavioral symptoms such as anxiety, insomnia, hyperactivity, aggressiveness, and others. To avoid it, it is important to lower the initial dosage to the minimum effective one once the clinical effect is achieved.
When the inhaler is used in kids, it is important to control their growth dynamics and in any signs of slowed down growth consult a pediatrician.
The increased need for inhalation beta2 agonists (quick-acting inhalers) indicates the aggravation of the condition so the doctor must be consulted and the treatment plan reconsidered.
It is not advised to discontinue the use of the inhaler abruptly except for the severe allergic reactions occurrence.
The use of inhaler in patients with lung tuberculosis requires special caution.
Where to buy Flovent?
The easiest and the cheapest way to get the inhaler is to order generic Fluticasone from our online drugstore as we offer the lowest prices at the best quality generics.
We provide all our customers with free international shipping on orders over $170. You can get the medication within 14-25 days if you order standard or 7-14 days in case of a bit more expensive express shipping.
Our doctor prescribes online for free, and there is no doctor’s consultation fee.
All orders arrive in discrete unmarked parcels. We leave the shipment description blank.
For more answers see the FAQ section