Generic Medication guide:
What is Capoten and when is used?
The brand Capoten is owned by an American pharmaceutical company registered under a name Bristol-Myers Squibb. Under this name, the hypotensive, vasodilating, natriuretic, and cardioprotective agent is sold. The formula is based on with an unpatented name Captopril. It is no longer protected by a copyright so it can be used by different companies under other trade names. This means that if you want to buy Capoten cheap, you should look for its generic which is the same medicine sold under a less known name.
The indications for the use of the Capoten tablets are:
- High arterial pressure;
- Heart failure with a diminished ventricular systolic function;
- Myocardial infarction;
- For a short-term (one month), the medication can be appointed within a day after a myocardial infarction for individuals in stable condition;
- Long-term prophylaxis of symptomatic heart failure in a stable condition with asymptomatic dysfunction of the left ventricle;
- Diabetic nephropathy.
Capoten prohibitions for use
The medication is contraindicated in intolerance of the drug’s components, Quincke’s edema in history related to previous use of ACE inhibitors, hereditary or idiopathic angioedema, primary hyperaldosteronism, pregnancy, and breastfeeding, in combination with Aliskiren in people with diabetes.
The use is restricted and can be appointed only if a doctor approves in:
- Aortic stenosis or other obstructive changes that interfere with the efflux of blood from the heart;
- Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy;
- Severe renal impairment;
- Kidneys arteries stenosis;
- Transplanted kidney;
- Young age.
Consult your physician or cardiologist if you have any other health condition not listed here.
Capoten regular dosages
When you buy generic Capoten, make sure to consult your physician about how exactly you should use it. In this guide, we provide the dosing information from the package insert but it is always better to follow the personalized prescription.
The pills are used orally prior, along with, or after a meal. The time of intake should be the same every day. If a tablet is skipped, it should be recouped as soon as possible unless it’s only several hours after the next dosage intake. Then a single dosage is taken.
- Arterial hypertension is treated with 25-50 mg daily in two intakes. In a half of a month to a month of the therapy, the dosage can be raised to 100-150 mg a day in two intakes. The medication can be used at the same time or separately from other antihypertensive medications especially with thiazide diuretics.
- Individuals with elevated activity of the renin-angiotensin system, e.g. with renovascular hypertension, decompensated heart failure, etc. are advised to start the therapy with a single dosage of 6.25 to 12.5 mg. The start of the therapy must be done under a doctors’ supervision.
- Heart failure is treated with 6.25 to 12.5 mg taken twice or thrice a day. The maintenance dosage is between 75-100 mg. It should be achieved based on the patient’s response to the therapy with gradual dose increases with intervals of two weeks.
- Diabetic nephropathy is treated with 75-100 mg a day split into two intakes and if necessary combined with other antihypertensive medications.
- The dosages for myocardial infarction are chosen based on the time of the therapy start, whether it would be a long-term or a short-term therapy, and on the condition of a particular patient.
- Since the medication is mainly excreted with kidneys, in their impaired function, either the dosage must be lowered or the interval between the intakes extended. If an additional therapy with diuretics is required, it is advised to opt for loop diuretics rather than thiazides.
The recommended dosages are based on creatinine clearance rate (cc):
- In cc more than 40 ml per minute, the initial daily dosage is from 25 to 50 mg and the highest is 150 mg;
- In cc more from 21 to 40 ml per minute, the initial daily dosage is from 25 mg and the highest is 100 mg;
- In cc more from 10 to 20 ml per minute, the initial daily dosage is from 12.5 mg and the highest is 75 mg;
- In cc lower than 10 ml per minute, the initial dosage is 6.25 mg and the highest is 37.5 mg.
- Patients of senior age: as the therapy with other antihypertensive medications, the therapy must be started with the lowest dosage which is 6.25 mg twice a day. The dosage can be raised gradually according to the patient’s response.
Capoten adverse effects
When you buy Captopril, be ready that the formulation can provoke the occurrence of certain adverse effects:
- Fatigue, lightheadedness, headache, depression of the CNS, drowsiness, confusion, depression, seizures, vision or sense of smell impairment;
- Hypotension, angina pectoris, myocardial infarction, cardiac arrhythmia, heartbeat, acute cerebrovascular accident, peripheral edema, anemia, chest pain, thromboembolism of the pulmonary artery, neutropenia, agranulocytosis, and others;
- Bronchospasm, dyspnea, bronchitis, dry cough.
- Loss of appetite, taste perversion, stomatitis, ulceration of the mouth and stomach, difficulty swallowing, nausea, dyspepsia, flatulence, abdominal pain, constipation or diarrhea, pancreatitis, liver dysfunction.
- Renal failure, oliguria, proteinuria, impotence.
- Reddening of the facial skin, rash, itching, dermatitis, toxic epidermal necrolysis, pemphigus, shingles, alopecia, photodermatitis, urticaria, angioedema, anaphylactic shock, etc.
- Body temperature increase, chills, hyperkalemia, gynecomastia, serum sickness, increased blood levels of liver enzymes, urea nitrogen, acidosis, a positive reaction when testing for antibodies to nuclear antigens.
The signs of an overdose are the blood pressure lowered below the norm, electrolytes imbalance, and kidney failure.
The treatment requires the discontinuation of the medication use. The patient must be lied down, given a gastric lavage and a therapy aimed at the normalization of the blood pressure.
In intense overdose, a patient must be taken to the emergency for the intensive detoxification procedures such as hemodialysis, and procedures directed at lifting the circulating blood volume, stabilizing the cardiovascular, airway and nervous systems, and improving renal function.
Before you buy generic Captopril, consult your therapist if you take any other medications at the same time.
- Enhances the hypotensive effect of anesthetics;
- Reduces secondary hyperaldosteronism and hypokalemia caused by diuretics;
- Elevates the level of Digoxin and lithium in the blood;
- Enhances the depressing effect of alcohol on the CNS.
The medications’ effect is:
- Enhanced by other hypotensive medications, diuretics, Clonidine, narcotic analgesics, antipsychotics, alcohol, weaken - estrogens, NSAIDs, and sympathomimetics.
- Fraught with hyperkalemia when the medication is combined with potassium-sparing diuretics, cyclosporine, potassium-containing medications and supplements, salt substitutes;
- Fraught with neutropenia and /or agranulocytosis with a fatal outcome when combined with any medications that depress the bone marrow, for instance, immunosuppressants.
The use of the medication must be started under a doctor’s supervision and regular tests are required.
If during the therapy liver dysfunction or allergic reactions develop, the therapy must be discontinued immediately.
It is recommended to refrain from consuming alcohol during the therapy.
Drivers and operators of large machinery should be careful and preferably refrain from their activity at least during the first weeks of the medication use.
Where can you buy Capoten?
Order Capoten pills from our med store so that you can get the qualitative treatment at a low cost.
We will ship your Capoten order to any corner of the world within 7-25 days. You can enjoy free shipping on orders for $170 or more.
Our doctor prescribes online for free, and there is no doctor’s consultation fee.
All orders arrive in discrete unmarked parcels. We leave the shipment description blank.
For more answers see the FAQ section