Generic Medication guide:
What is the product marketed as Diovan and when is it used?
Diovan is a brand owned by Novartis, a Swiss-based transnational pharmaceutical company. Under this name, the medicinal substance Valsartan is marketed. This substance is an oral antihypertensive medication that blocks the receptors of angiotensin II receptors type 1 that are located in the vessels, heart, kidneys, and other organs.
The formulation represses all effects of the hormone including narrowing of the blood vessels and secretion of aldosterone. This diminishes the hypertrophy of myocardium in individuals with high arterial pressure.
The pressure-lowering effect is developed in two hours after a dosage intake and reaches its peak in 4-6 hours. The effect lasts for 24 hours. The use of the medicinal product without interruption guarantees the persistent diminishing in arterial pressure in half of a month to one month.
The use of the medicinal product is appointed in:
- Chronically raised arterial pressure;
- Congestive heart failure;
- Myocardial infarction in stable individuals.
If your physician prescribes you the medication you can buy Diovan or the same medication made by other pharmaceutical company as generic Diovan to save on the price per pill.
Diovan contraindications for use
The use of the formulation is prohibited in:
- Heightened sensitivity to Valsartan (main agent) and any other supplementary ingredients;
- Severe liver failure, cirrhosis, and bile stasis.
- Pregnancy or planned pregnancy;
- Simultaneous use with Aliskiren in individuals with diabetes or kidney failure.
It doesn’t matter whether you buy generic Diovan or the branded version, the dosages are the same. This means that if your physician appointed to you the branded medication you should follow his or her recommendations strictly and without any changes if you get the generic pills.
The following recommendations are taken from the official instruction and are for information only.
The pills can be taken with/without meals.
- The high arterial pressure in adult individuals is managed with an initial dosage of 80 mg once a day. The stable effect is reached in half of a month of uninterrupted use and the peak effect is recorded within a month of uninterrupted use. If the initial dosage is insufficient, it can be raised to 160 mg a day or even the highest of 320 mg a day if the product is well tolerated. Alternatively, it can be combined with other blood-pressure medications but then the high doses should not be used.
- Post-stroke conditions treatment in adult individuals can be started in twelve hours after a stroke. The starting dosage is 20 mg two times daily. Based on a patient’s response, it is then gradually raised to 40, 80, and 160 mg two times daily throughout the following weeks of use. It is preferable that the dosage of 80 mg two times daily would be achieved in two weeks after the course start and the highest dosage of 160 mg twice a day in three months after the therapy start. In the onset of lowered arterial pressure and kidney dysfunction, the lowering of the daily dosage should be considered. Patients who had myocardial infarction when undergoing the course with the medication must undergo kidney function checkups regularly.
- Congestive heart failure in adults is treated with the initial dosage of 40 mg two times a day. The gradual increase of the dosage to 80 and then 160 mg two times daily should be made with an interval of not less than two weeks. If an individual used diuretics, when they buy Valsartan and start using it, the dosage of diuretics should be lowered.
The medication can be combined with other formulations for the management of congestive heart failure but the use of an ACE inhibitor, beta-blocker and Valsartan is not encouraged.
Individuals with congestive heart failure, when undergoing the course with the medication, must do kidney function checkups regularly.
The medication can be used in children older than six years in the lower dosages:
- The initial dosage is 40 mg once a day in kids with the body weight over 35 kg and 80 mg for kids with the body mass over 35 kg. The dosages can be altered based on the response of the patient by a pediatrician.
The medication can be used in kids for the management of arterial pressure only and not for other conditions.
Dosage adjustments for separate groups of patients
- Senior individuals do not need dosage adjustments;
- Adult individuals with kidney failure and cc higher than 10 ml per minute do not require dosage adjustments;
- For individuals with mild to moderate liver failure without bile stasis, the daily dosage of the formulation must not exceed 80 mg. In severe liver failure, biliary cirrhosis or cholestasis, the use of the formulation is prohibited.
- The use of Valsartan in kids with kidney failure and cc less than 30 ml per minute or on dialysis is not studied so it is not advised for such individuals. In cc higher than 30 ml the correction of the dosage is not needed. But the function of the kidneys and potassium level in the blood must be controlled.
- As for adults, for kids with mild to moderate liver failure without cholestasis, the daily dosage of the medication must not exceed 80 mg. In severe liver failure, cirrhosis or bile stasis, the use of the formulation is prohibited.
Overdose of Diovan
As a result of an overdose with medication, a pronounced drop of arterial pressure can develop which in its turn leads to depression of consciousness, vascular collapse and/or shock.
The treatment measures depend on the time that passed after an overdose and severity of the symptoms. The first and foremost is the stabilization of the blood circulation. A patient must be lied down and the correction of the volume of the circulating blood must be done.
Diovan adverse effects
The possible adverse effects you may experience when you buy generic Valsartan and start using it are:
- General weakness, headache, lightheadedness, hypotension;
- Diarrhea, nausea, abdominal pain, liver dysfunction;
- Blood disorders;
- Coughing, hyperkalemia, viral infections.
- Allergic reactions including skin rash, swelling, itching, kidney failure, and others.
Consult your healthcare provider if you have any disease or conditions which can make you more predisposed to develop any of these adverse effects.
The medication doesn’t need liver metabolism to start rendering its effect so there is a minimal likelihood of interaction of this formulation with medications that are metabolized in the liver.
- In the use of any medications that contribute to potassium level rise can be potentially harmful and requires control over potassium level.
- Antihypertensive medications such as cimetidine, warfarin, hydrochlorothiazide, Amlodipine, and some others (see the package insert) are well-combined with the formulation but other antihypertensive medications can enhance its effect and cause hypotension.
- Long-term use of NSAIDs can lower the effect of the formulation. Besides, when Diovan is used with them it can cause potassium level elevation and kidney failure it is especially likely in individuals with impaired kidney function and senior patients.
Individuals with sodium deficit or low volume of the circulating blood, with kidney artery stenosis, pronounced kidney failure, severe liver dysfunction, cirrhosis, obstruction of the biliary tract, and/or use any products that elevate potassium level who order Diovan must use it cautiously under a doctor’s supervision and in low doses and undergo all necessary tests timely.
The medication must be cautiously used by driver or operators of large machinery as it can impair sped of reaction and focus.
Where can you buy Diovan?
You can get the medication cheap without compromising the effectiveness and safety of your therapy if you order generic Diovan online from our drugstore.
4RXStrore will ship Diovan and any other medication you order to any corner of the world including all cities and towns in the U.S., UK, Canada, and so on within 7-25 days.
Our doctor prescribes online for free, and there is no doctor’s consultation fee.
All orders arrive in discrete unmarked parcels. We leave the shipment description blank.
For more answers see the FAQ section