Generic Medication guide:
What is Minipress and when is it used?
Minipress is a brand owned by the pharmaceutical giant Pfizer.
Under this name, the substance called Prazosin is sold. Prazosin is an antihypertensive, vasodilating, antidysuric medication. It can be used for:
- Arterial hypertension;
- Early congestive heart failure;
- Benign prostatic hyperplasia.
If your healthcare provider prescribes you this medication, you can buy Minipress from our med store to get it cheaper than at the regular drugstores. Moreover, we do not need to check your prescription but we still advise you to get one to be sure that you are getting the correct medication for your disease.
How does the formulation act?
The effects of the medication are due to the selective blocking of alpha-1 adrenergic receptors. It renders a pronounced arterial tension lowering effect without significantly increasing the heartbeat.
The formulation also lowers the total peripheral vascular resistance, tension in the pulmonary veins and right atrium, diminishes the myocardium need in oxygen, improves physical activity tolerance, and reduces renal and pulmonary vascular resistance. It also beneficially affects lipids balance, lowers the level of total cholesterol, triglycerides, and low-density lipoproteins. Unlike many other antihypertensive agents, it doesn’t influence the body mass, creatinine clearance, and renal blood flow, does not alter carbohydrate tolerance or uric acid metabolism.
The use of the first dosage can cause a sharp drop in arterial tension especially if a patient uses diuretics. However, after the withdrawal and resumed use within a week the same effect doesn’t occur.
Minipress contraindications for use
Do not buy generic Minipress if you have:
- Heightened sensitivity to Prazosin and other quinazoline medications (doxazosin, terazosin) or to any of the excipients;
- Stenosis of the aorta and mitral valve;
- Pulmonary embolism;
- Pericardial diseases;
- Heart defects with the reduced filling pressure of the left ventricle;
- Arterial hypotension
- The first trimester of pregnancy, breastfeeding;
- Age below 12 years.
If you suffer from any other diseases, please consult your therapist before you get the medication and start the course.
Minipress use recommendations
When you buy Prazosin, you should know that the dosage is selected individually for each person based on the peculiarities of their condition. The tablets must be swallowed entirely and washed down with sufficient water.
To minimize the risk of the sharp drop of arterial tension after the first dosage intake, it is recommended to start the course with the minimal dosage with the gradual increase over time if the initial dosage is insufficient. Besides, the first dosage should be taken before sleep so that the patient didn’t faint. The risk of the drop of arterial tension and fainting is especially high in patients who had used water pills before.
The first dosage should be 0.5-1 mg before bedtime. Then the dosage can be raised to 3-4 mg a day split into several intakes.
The effect of the medication usually develops within several days but a stable lowering of the arterial tension can take up to two months to develop. The maintenance dosage is selected individually in the range of 3 to 20 mg a day, and usually, it is between 6 and 15 mg a day. The daily dosage should be split into 3-4 intakes. However, for some individuals two intakes a day are optimal.
In the monotherapy with the medication, it is important to consider that the effectiveness of the medication can be lowered as a result of tolerance development. It requires the rise of the single dosage by 1 mg or more. Alternatively, an appointment of additional antihypertensive medications, for instance, diuretics, should be made.
When diuretics or other arterial tension lowering medications are added to the therapy, the dosage of Minipress should be lowered to 1-2 mg taken thrice a day.
If the treatment with Minipress is to be discontinued, it should be made with a gradual lowering of the dosage.
An overdose of the medication is manifested in circulatory failure, tachycardia, low blood pressure, heart rhythm disturbances, angina attacks, shock, oliguria or anuria.
The patient should immediately be laid down with raised legs. If necessary, vasopressor agents (dopamine, norepinephrine) and symptomatic therapy should be given at a hospital. Water-salt balance monitoring is needed. Since Prazosin binds to plasma proteins, it cannot be removed from the body through dialysis.
Minipress adverse effects
The possible negative effects that you can encounter while taking the medication are:
- Allergic reactions, such as angioedema;
- Mental disorders such as depression, nervousness, insomnia, anxiety, hallucinations;
- Dizziness, fatigue, headache, exhaustion, loss of consciousness, paresthesias, tremor, exacerbation of narcolepsy, which existed previously;
- Blurred vision, eye pain, and conjunctival redness;
- Hearing and vestibular disorders including ringing in the ears;
- Rapid heartbeat, bradycardia, myocardial infarction;
- Hot flashes, hypotension, a drop in blood pressure, especially when changing body position, for example, getting up from a prone position, vasculitis;
- Respiratory disorders, disorders of the chest and mediastinum such as shortness of breath, nasal congestion, nasal bleeding, rhinitis, bronchospasm;
- Persistent constipation, diarrhea, dry mouth, nausea, vomiting, dyspeptic disorders, abdominal pain, pancreatitis, abnormal liver function, cholecystitis;
- Non-specific skin reactions (e.g., redness of the skin), excessive sweating, itching, urticaria;
- Pain in the joints (arthralgia), muscle cramps;
- Increased urge to urinate, urinary retention, swelling of the lower extremities and face, incontinence.
The probability of adverse effects depends on the existing disorders or diseases than an individual have already had before they started the use of Minipress.
The formulation should not be taken along with:
- NSAIDs that lower its tension-lowering effect;
- Estrogens as they elevate the blood pressure and lower the effect of the formulation.
- Other antihypertensive medications unless prescribed by a doctor;
- Sympathomimetic medications, i.e. those that contain dopamine, ephedrine, phenylephrine, since Prazosin counteracts the narrowing of peripheral vessels due to exposure to high doses of dopamine; weakens the effect of ephedrine and reduces the effect of phenylephrine; blocks the a-adrenergic effect of adrenaline, which can lead to severe hypertension and tachycardia.
- With PDE-5 (sildenafil, tadalafil, vardenafil), which can cause symptomatic hypotension;
- Digoxin as its levels are elevated;
- Baclofen as it potentiates the effect of Minipress;
- Phenylbutazone and Indomethacin due to the weakening of the antihypertensive effect of Prazosin.
Minipress can be a reason for a false-positive screening test for a pheochromocytoma.
The use of the formulation can cause sleepiness and other adverse effects that interfere with attention and vigilance so you should avoid driving or operating any machinery when you buy Prazosin at least for the first week of use.
Sometimes at the beginning of the course, a sharp drop in blood pressure can occur that requires temporary discontinuation of the medication use. To avoid it, it is recommended to start the course with the dosage of 0.5 mg taken before bedtime.
The formulation contains lactose so it should be cautiously used by people with severe lactose intolerance.
The effect of the medications is potentiated with physical exercises.
Where can you buy Minipress?
Our online drugstore offers you both generic and branded medications at the prices lower than the regular drugstores and without Rx. Thus, if you order Minipress from this web page, you can save both on the pills and visits to your doctor.
We perform Minipress shipping all over the world including the UK, U.S., Canada, and so on. The shipping takes from 7 to 25 days and the standard shipping is free if you order for $170 or more.
Our doctor prescribes online for free, and there is no doctor’s consultation fee.
All orders arrive in discrete unmarked parcels. We leave the shipment description blank.
For more answers see the FAQ section