Generic Medication guide:
What is Plendil and when is it used?
The brand Plendil is owned by the Research-Based BioPharmaceutical Company called AstraZeneca. The basis for the medication is the active substance named Felodipine. It is a selective calcium channel blocker, which diminishes arterial tension by diminishing vessels contraction. In the usual dosages, it selectively affects the smooth muscles of the arterioles, does not directly affect the contractility and conductivity of the heart. The same substance is manufactured and marketed by other companies than AstraZeneca so if you want to buy Plendil cheap, you should look for a generic version.
The indications for the formulation use are:
- Arterial hypertension;
- Stable angina.
Advantages of Plendil over other antihypertensive medications
The formulation doesn’t affect the smooth muscles of the veins and adrenergic mechanisms. It means that its use is not related to the drop of arterial pressure when standing up (postural hypotension).
Plendil has its own moderate sodium washing out and water pill effect, thus, it does not cause water retention.
It is effective for different degrees of elevated arterial tension. The formulation can be used as a mono or combined therapy with other arterial-tension-lowering medications, for instance, beta-blockers, diuretics, and so on.
Unlike other antihypertensive medications, it maintains its effect in the simultaneous use with NSAIDs.
Plendil has an antianginal and anti-ischemic effects due to the effect on the balance between the supply and consumption of oxygen to the myocardium. It diminishes the resistance of coronary vessels. Blood flow through the coronary vessels and oxygenation of the myocardium is also increased due to dilatation of the epicardial arteries and arterioles. The formulation prevents the spasms of the coronary arteries and vessels. It contributes to the diminishing of the afterload on the left ventricle.
You can buy generic Plendil to improve your tolerance of physical exercises and diminish the frequency of acute attacks of angina.
Plendil contraindications for use
The formulation must not be used in:
- Intolerance or high sensitivity to the substances in the pills and dihydropyridines in general;
- Decompensated heart failure;
- Unstable angina;
- Acute myocardial infarction;
- Dynamic obstruction of the outflow tract of the left ventricle;
- Severe aortic/mitral stenosis;
- Pregnancy and breastfeeding.
The formulation is not contraindicated in heart failure but namely in decompensated disease. It means that if you are diagnosed with it, you must consult your therapist prior to buying the medication.
Plendil is preferably used in the morning before breakfast or after a light breakfast with minimum carbohydrates and fats. The pills must not be chewed or crushed. They must be swallowed entirely with sufficient amount of water.
When you buy Felodipine, you must know that even the package insert provides the instructions on its use which you can also find further in this article, it is better to get personally chosen dosages by your healthcare provider.
- Usually, the treatment of high arterial tension is started with 5 mg once a day. Depending on the effect and tolerance of the formulation, the dosage can be lowered to 2.5 mg a day or raised to 10 mg a day. If the effect of the maximum dosage is insufficient, another antihypertensive medication can be added to the therapy. The usual supporting dosage is between 5 and 10 mg a day.
- Angina treatment is started with 5 mg once a day. Depending on the effect and tolerance of the medication, the dosage can be raised to 10 mg a day. The highest dosage is 20 mg. If the effect of the highest dosage is insufficient, another antihypertensive medication can be added to the therapy.
The formulation can be combined with beta-blockers, ACE inhibitor or diuretics. However, the combined therapy is fraught with hypertension so it is advised to undergo it cautiously and under a doctor’s supervision.
- Senior patients should start the therapy with the minimum dosage of the medication which is 2.5 mg a day.
- Patients with kidney failure do not require dosage adjustments.
- Individuals with liver failure can suffer from an elevated concentration of Felodipine in the blood so they are advised to use lower dosages chosen by their doctors.
An overdose can induce extension of blood vessels with a severe drop of blood tension, which can sometimes be followed by bradycardia.
This should be treated with the intake of activated carbon and gastric lavage. Additionally, in a severe drop of arterial pressure symptomatic treatment is indicated. The individual must lay down with their legs a bit lifted. In slowed down heartbeat emergency help is needed as it requires the intravenous infusion of atropine 0.5-1 mg. If this is not enough, it is necessary to replenish the plasma volume using an infusion, for example, glucose, 0.9% sodium chloride solution, dextran. Sympathomimetics can be given with a predominant effect on alpha 1 –adrenergic receptors.
Plendil adverse effects
When you buy generic Felodipine, you should know that it can cause facial reddening, headache, rapid heartbeat, lightheadedness, and fatigue. Most of these effects is temporary and occur at the start of the therapy or with a dosage raise. Besides, based on the dosages, swelling in the ankles, which is the result of excessive dilation of the vessels and not due to water retention, can develop. Patients with gum disease or periodontitis may experience gingival hyperplasia. This can be avoided by careful oral hygiene.
Other rarer but still possible adverse effects include:
- Hypersensitivity reactions such as urticaria and angioedema;
- Sleep disorders, sleepiness, anxiety irritability, confusion, depression;
- Wheezing, nasal bleeding;
- Worsening of manifestations of angina pectoris (mainly at the initial stage of the treatment) mostly in individuals with symptomatic ischemic heart disease. They include fainting, palpitations, tachycardia, myocardial infarction, hot flashes, peripheral edema, and arterial hypotension;
- Erectile dysfunction and low sex drive;
- Nausea, gums inflammation, belly ache, vomiting, periodontitis, diarrhea, constipation, and dry mouth, increase in liver enzymes, and cholestatic hepatitis;
- Hyperemia, skin rash, pruritus, sensitivity to light, angioedema, erythema, arthralgia, myalgia, tremor, fever.
When you start using the formulation, you must check with your physician that you don’t take any medications that can influence Plendil’s effect or be influenced by it:
- The medications that raise the level of Plendil in the blood are enzyme inhibitors, such as cimetidine, ranitidine, erythromycin, itraconazole, ketoconazole, anti-HIV medications, quinidine and some flavonoids contained in grapefruit juice. In the case of the development of clinically significant side effects due to the formulation level elevation, it is advised to adjust the dose of Felodipine and/or discontinue use of the CYP3A4 inhibitor.
- The formulations that lower the content of Plendil in the blood are enzyme inducers such as Phenytoin, carbamazepine, rifampicin, barbiturates, efavirenz, nevirapine, and St. John's, so you may need higher doses than usual of the arterial-tension-normalizing medication. Felodipine combinations with powerful CYP3A4 inducers should be avoided. If the effect of the medication is insufficient due to the lowered Plendil level, it is recommended to raise its dosage or discontinue using CYP3A4 enzyme inducers.
For other combinations that can imply the effect of Plendil on other medications read the package insert or consult your healthcare provider.
The efficiency and harmlessness of the formulation use in hypertensive crisis aren’t studied.
As in the case with other substances that dilate vessels, Plendil can occasionally cause severe arterial hypotension with a rapid heartbeat which in sensitive patients can cause myocardial ischemia.
The medication must be cautiously used in individuals with severe left ventricular dysfunction.
Where can you buy Plendil?
You can order Plendil, from our online pharmacy to get a cheaper generic version and save on the therapy without compromising the quality of it.
Plendil shipping by our pharmacy is made all over the world within 7 to 25 days. We perform shipping to the UK, U.S., and all other countries.
Our doctor prescribes online for free, and there is no doctor’s consultation fee.
All orders arrive in discrete unmarked parcels. We leave the shipment description blank.
For more answers see the FAQ section