Generic Medication guide:
What is Toprol and when is it used?
Toprol is a brand name used for the selling of the medicinal substance Metoprolol. This brand is owned and promoted by a certain company, AstraZeneca, and cannot be used by other drug makers. However, since the formula is known and no longer has an exclusive-use status, it can be used for the manufacturing the same medications but under other names by different producers.
Metoprolol is an antianginal, hypotensive, and antiarrhythmic formulation appointed for:
- Arterial hypertension;
- Angina (including after a myocardial infarction);
- Arrhythmia (including supraventricular tachycardia);
- Prevention of cardiac death and repeated myocardial infarction after an acute myocardial infarction phase;
- In combination with first-line medications for the treatment of thyrotoxicosis;
- Prophylaxis of migraines.
If you have any of these conditions, you can buy Toprol or its generic version, i.e. the same formula but under another name, from our med store to save a substantial amount of money because we sell all the medications at lower prices than the regular drugstores.
When is Toprol contraindicated to be used?
The medication use is unsafe and hence is prohibited in:
- Increased sensitivity to the components of the formulation and other beta-receptors blockers;
- Sinoatrial block;
- Sick sinus;
- Decompensated heart failure accompanied by lung edema, hypoperfusion or hypotension syndrome;
- Severe bradycardia, i.e. slow heart rate;
- Cardiogenic shock;
- Severe violations of peripheral blood circulation with pain and trophic changes;
- Arterial hypotension;
- Asthma or other severe chronic obstructive airway conditions;
- Metabolic acidosis;
- Untreated pheochromocytoma;
- Long-term or periodic therapy with agonists of beta-receptors;
- Use of MAO-A inhibitors;
- Intravenous infusions of calcium antagonists such as Verapamil and Diltiazem or other antiarrhythmic formulations.
Besides the strict prohibitions for use, the medication is also not recommended to be used by patients with suspected acute myocardial infarction, in the slow heartbeat (less than 50 beats per minute), and in slightly lowered arterial tension.
Please consult a medical specialist before you buy generic Toprol if you have any doubts whether the medication is safe for you or not.
The tablets are intended for everyday use, preferably, in the morning. When the dosage is raised, the control over the heart rate is needed to prevent bradycardia (excessive slowing down of the heart rate). The highest dosage per day is 400 mg.
- High arterial tension is treated with 100 mg in the morning or split into two equal dosages taken in the morning and before bedtime. If the target tension lowering isn’t achieved, the dosage can be raised to 200 mg a day. Alternatively, additional tension-lowering medications can be started to be used.
- Angina is treated with 50-100 mg twice to thrice a day. If necessary, the medication can be combined with other medications for angina.
- Arrhythmia is treated with 50 mg twice to trice a day. If needed, the dosage can be raised to 300 mg split into two-three intakes.
- In myocardial infarction, the treatment should be started within the first twelve hours after the first occurrence of pain in the chest. The recommended dosage is 50 mg every six hours for 48 hours. The recommended maintenance dosage is 200 mg split into two intakes a day. The treatment course duration is three months and more.
- Hyperthyroidism (thyrotoxicosis) is treated with 50 mg taken four times a day. Once the desired effect is achieved, the dosage can be gradually lowered.
- Prophylaxis of migraines is made with the daily dosage between 100 and 200 mg split into two intakes.
Patients with kidneys dysfunction do not need any dosage lowering.
Patients with impaired liver function can require dosage adjustments only if the main liver functions are severely impaired.
Senior patients do not require any dosage adjustments.
An overdose with the medication is very dangerous as it can lead to a substantial drop of arterial tension, sinus bradycardia, heart block, an extension of QT interval, cardiogenic shock, cardiac arrest, bronchospasm, and other life-threatening conditions and symptoms. The use of alcohol, other antihypertensive medications or barbiturates can worsen the condition.
If you realized that you overdosed before the symptoms started to develop, you should induce vomiting and take activated carbon. If you realized that you overdosed when the symptoms started to develop, you should immediately seek emergency help. Therapy implies the monitoring and maintenance of the vital functions at an intensive care unit.
Toprol adverse effects
When you buy Metoprolol, you can expect to develop the following adverse effects:
- Blood composition disorder that is identified by a blood test;
- Body mass gain, sleep disturbance, sleepiness, sleeplessness, nightmares, depression, impaired focus, memory impairment, amnesia, confusion, hallucinations, nervousness, anxiety, dizziness, headache;
- Vision impairment, dry eyes;
- Noise or ringing in the ears, hearing impairment;
- Cold limbs, slow heartbeat, AV-block, chest pain, worsening of heart failure symptoms, tachycardia, arrhythmia, arterial hypotension, cardiogenic shock;
- Exertional dyspnea, bronchospasm, rhinitis;
- Nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain, diarrhea, constipation, dry mouth, heartburn, bloating, hepatitis;
- Hypersensitivity reactions including skin rash, itching, reddening of the skin, psoriasis or aggravation of existing psoriasis, sensitivity to light, sweating;
- Muscle spasms, aggravation of symptoms of intermittent claudication, muscle weakness, impotence /sexual dysfunction, Peyronie's disease, fatigue, peripheral edema;
- Changes in laboratory tests, for instance lowering of high-density lipoproteins and raise of triglycerides content;
- The medication can hide the symptoms of thyrotoxicosis and latent diabetes.
If you use any medications when you buy generic Metoprolol, you must check with your healthcare provider that they are compatible with this drug.
For instance, it is contraindicated to use Metoprolol along with MAO-A inhibitors. The infusions of Verapamil and Diltiazem along with the medication can cause cardiac arrest so this combination is also contraindicated.
The blood-tension-lowering effect is enhanced with sympatholytics, Nifedipine, nitroglycerin, diuretics, hydralazine, and other tension-lowering formulations.
Antiarrhythmic and anesthetics increase the risk of slowed down heartbeat, arrhythmia, and drop of arterial tension.
Digitalis-based formulations potentiate the slowdown of AV conduction.
Beta-adrenergic receptors agonists, aminophylline, cocaine, estrogens, Indomethacin, and other NSAIDs weaken the antihypertensive effect.
The use of the formulation along with muscle relaxants causes the extension of action of the latter.
Toprol changes the effectiveness of insulin and other antidiabetic medications.
Oral birth control pills, cimetidine, ranitidine, and phenothiazines raise the concentration of Toprol in the body.
Rifampicin use lowers the effectiveness of the antihypertensive medication.
Toprol slows down the washing out of Lidocaine and effectiveness of beta-2-adrenergic receptors agonists.
Combination with other agents and substances:
The consumption of alcohol during the therapy with the medication causes an enhanced depressive effect on the nervous system.
Allergens elevate the risk of serious systemic allergic reactions up to anaphylaxis.
When you order Toprol, you need to know that the control over the heart rate and arterial tension is needed. First, it should be done daily, then once a month.
The medication can enhance already existing bradycardia.
In the majority of cases, 48hours before a surgical operation, the use of Toprol must be discontinued. In some cases, the use of the medication before a surgery is on the contrary needed. You must consult your healthcare provider and inform your surgeon before going for the surgery as the anesthetics choice greatly depends on the medications you use.
Individuals with chronic heart failure can experience the worsening of myocardial contractility. This requires the use of cardiac glycosides and/or diuretics, as well as control over the hemodynamics. In case bradycardia or AV block develop, the dosage of the Toprol must be lowered or administration of atropine done.
The use of the medication requires also other precautions especially if you have any other diseases or conditions such as diabetes and others. For the full list, please read the package insert or better consult your healthcare provider.
Where can you buy Toprol?
With a prescription, you can get the medication from virtually any drugstore. If you don’t have a refill Rx and want to save on the visits to your doctor, you can order generic Toprol from our online drugstore without a prescription.
We ship Toprol to the U.S., UK, Canada, Europe, and all over the world. The shipping takes either 7-14 days (express) or 14-25 days (standard).
Our doctor prescribes online for free, and there is no doctor’s consultation fee.
All orders arrive in discrete unmarked parcels. We leave the shipment description blank.
For more answers see the FAQ section