Generic Medication guide:
What is Toprol XL and when is it used?
Toprol XL is a brand name of the extended-release formulation based on Metoprolol. There is a simple version of this drug which is marketed under the same name but without XL. It acts for fewer hours so the pills have to be taken several times a day. The extended-release formulation allows taking a single pill a day. You can buy Toprol XL or generic version of the medication from our online pharmacy to save on the treatment without Rx.
The indications for the formulation use are:
- Congestive heart failure in the non-acute phase treated by the combination use of ACE inhibitors, diuretics, cardiac glycosides, and so on.
- High arterial pressure;
- Ischemic heart disease;
- Therapy and prevention after myocardial infarction;
- Tachysystolic heart rhythm disturbances.
- Prevention of migraine attacks.
Although it’s easy to buy generic Toprol XL from our online drugstore without Rx, we highly advise you to consult a doctor first to be sure that this medication and the extended release pills, in particular, are suitable for you.
Pharmacological properties of Toprol XL
The formulation is a selective beta-adrenergic receptors blocker without own sympathomimetic activity. The formulation mainly affects beta-1 receptors of the heart and slightly beta-2 receptors of the vessels and bronchi. These effects allow the formulation to render a hypotensive (arterial-tension-lowering effect), antianginal, and antiarrhythmic effects.
Metoprolol minimizes the sinus node automatism, heart rate, inhibits AV-conduction, and reduces inotropic myocardial function and oxygen demand. It minimizes the risk of strokes and increases tolerance to physical exertion.
In myocardial infarction, the formulation limits the ischemic zone of the heart muscle and prevents the heart rhythm disorder. In chronic heart failure, Metoprolol reduces the manifestations of the activation of the sympathoadrenal system and prevents the progression of the disease.
When mustn’t Toprol XL be used?
Even though the formulation renders a wide range of positive effects on the arteries and heart, it is contraindicated for some people. For instance, for individuals with:
- Increased sensitivity to the main substance used in the formulation or additional components the pills are made of;
- AV-block of the second or third degree;
- Intense bradycardia (slowing down of the heart rate);
- Sick sinus syndrome;
- Arterial hypotension;
- Cardiogenic shock;
- Acute decompensated heart failure;
- Severe impairment of peripheral blood circulation;
- Bronchial asthma and severe chronic obstructive diseases of the respiratory tract;
- Metabolic acidosis;
- Simultaneous use with MAO inhibitors (except for MAO-B inhibitors).
If you are not sure whether any of the conditions that you have fall into the contraindications category, please consult a specialist who knows your medical history before you buy Metoprolol XL without Rx from our online drugstore.
Use of Toprol during pregnancy
The medication is not recommended for pregnant women yet it can be used if a doctor approves based on the ratio of expected benefits and risks.
Toprol XL dosing recommendations
The extended-release formulation use is different from the use of regular Toprol formulation. Since the pills release the active substance gradually, they do not need to be taken several times a day and a single pill a day is sufficient.
It is preferable to take the pill in the morning. It is possible to divide the pills into equal parts but prohibited to crash or chew them as their effect would be impaired. The pills must be washed down with at least a half of glass of water. They can be taken before, during, or after a meal as food doesn’t influence their bioavailability and effect.
- Heart failure. In symptomatic heart failure, the starting dosage is 12.5 mg a day during the first week. For the second week, the dosage can be raised to 25 mg once a day. Next, the dosage is little by little raised corresponding to the doctor’s recommendations and tolerance of the medication. It is advised to raise the dosage every two weeks till the maximum 200 mg a day or the maximum well-tolerated dosage.
When you buy generic Metoprolol XL for heart failure treatment, you must follow the directions of a medical worker who specializes and is qualified to treat heart failure. It is important as every raise of the dosage requires monitoring and checking of the patient’s condition and in the occurrence of any symptoms of the condition worsening or decompensation, only a doctor can undertake the right measures. In the occurrence of excessive lowering of the arterial tension and/or other signs of decompensation of heart failure, the dosage of the medication or other medications used must be adjusted. The lowering of the blood pressure doesn’t mean that the medication cannot be further used but it indicates that the dosage must be lowered and the rate of dosage elevation must be slower.
- Arterial hypertension of mild to moderate severity is treated with 50 mg once a day. If needed, the dosage can be raised to 100 or 200 mg a day but only if it is well tolerated. Alternatively, in the insufficient efficacy of the formulation, other antihypertensive medications can be added to the therapy.
- For angina treatment, the recommended dosage is 50-200 mg once a day. The formulation can be used as a single therapy or in a combination with other medications.
- The treatment after an acute myocardial infarction is made with an individually chosen dosage with the control over the heartbeat and arterial tension and is between 50 and 200 mg a day.
- Tachysystolic heart rhythm disorders are treated with 50-200 mg taken once a day.
- Migraine prophylaxis is made with 100-200 mg once a day.
These recommendations are general but you must consult your healthcare provider for precise dosages as well as the duration of the treatment course to ensure the optimal effect and efficacy.
Toprol XL overdose
An overdose with the medication is manifested in severe arterial hypotension, slowed down heart rate, AV-block, heart failure, cardiogenic shock, nausea, fatigue, sleepiness, fainting, bronchospasm, and others. The first signs of an overdose can occur within 20 minutes to two hours.
The symptoms can enhance in the use of alcohol and other antihypertensive medications such as Quinidine and barbiturates.
The required treatment is: gastric lavage, vomiting, use of sorbents. In severe hypotension, use of beta-receptor agonists and dopamine is indicated.
In the occurrence of heart symptoms, i.e. slowing down of heartbeat, fainting, fatigue – emergency help must be sought.
Toprol XL adverse effects
The possible negative reactions that can develop as a result of the medication use are:
- Slowing down of the heartbeat, lowering of the arterial tension below the norm, darkening in the eyes when standing up, headache, fatigue, tiredness;
- AV-conduction disorders, bradyarrhythmias, the appearance or worsening of symptoms of heart failure (edema, weight gain, shortness of breath), feeling cold in the extremities, the appearance/aggravation of symptoms of intermittent claudication;
- Sleep disorders, depression, impaired focus, nervousness, memory impairment, confusion, hallucinations;
- Visual disturbances, dryness of the eyes, irritation of the eyes, conjunctivitis, noise in the ears, hearing impairment;
- Wheezing, bronchospasm, nasal congestion or a runny nose;
- Ache in the belly, nausea, diarrhea, constipation, taste impairment, liver transaminases elevation, hepatitis, etc;
- Skin allergic reactions, i.e. skin rash, skin itching;
- Muscle cramps, pain in the muscles;
- Erectile dysfunction.
Toprol XL interactions
The medication must not be combined with MAO inhibitors of A type.
The medication enhances the hypotensive effect of other pressure-lowering medications so they must be cautiously combined.
The effect of the medication is lowered by NSAIDs, Rifampicin, and other medications.
The formulation significantly affects the efficacy of antidiabetic medications so if you take them, you must consult a doctor on their adjustments.
These are not all possible interactions. Thus, if you take any medication at the time you plan to start using Toprol XL, consult a specialist or at least read the full medication guide provided in the package with pills.
Where can you buy generic Toprol XL?
To get a generic version of the formulation instead of the branded medication is a wise decision because it is much cheaper while provides the same effect.
You can order Toprol XL pills from our med store without Rx and additionally save on the visits to your doctor.
Toprol XL shipping
We offer international shipping of Toprol XL, as well as all other medications that we sell. We ship to Canada, UK, U.S., and so on via express and standard mail.
Our doctor prescribes online for free, and there is no doctor’s consultation fee.
All orders arrive in discrete unmarked parcels. We leave the shipment description blank.
For more answers see the FAQ section