Generic Medication guide:
What is Arimidex?
Arimidex is a trade name owned by the British pharmaceutical company Astra Zeneca. The active agent of the product is Anastrozole. It is an anti-tumor medication that has an effect against the estrogen-dependent tumors of the mammary glands in women in postmenopause. Androstenedione is the main source of circulating estrogens in postmenopausal women, is converted into estrone in peripheral tissues, and then into estradiol, this process occurs with the participation of the aromatase enzyme. The mechanism of action of Anastrozole is associated with inhibition of aromatase in peripheral tissues, including fatty tissues, which leads to a decrease in the amount of estradiol. The lowering of the circulating estradiol in women with breast cancer renders a therapeutic effect. In postmenopausal women, the use of 1 mg of the medication lowers the level of estradiol by 80%.
If your oncologist prescribes you Arimidex, you can buy generic Arimidex, i.e. the same medication made by another manufacturer which usually means a lower price per pill.
Indications for Arimidex use:
- Adjuvant therapy (additional therapy besides surgery, chemotherapy, and other major therapeutic methods) of early hormone-positive breast cancer in women in postmenopause;
- Treatment of advanced breast cancer in postmenopausal women;
- Adjuvant therapy (additional therapy besides surgery, chemotherapy, and other major therapeutic methods) for early hormone-positive breast cancer in postmenopausal women after the therapy with Tamoxifen for 2-3 years.
When taken orally, around 83-85% of the active agent is absorbed. Food lowers the absorption so the pills should be taken on an empty stomach. The maximum concentration in the blood is reached within 2 hours after the intake. Equilibrium concentration in the blood with a daily intake is achieved in about 7 days; its value is 3-4 times higher than with a single dose.
When is the use of Arimidex prohibited?
You should not buy Arimidex and use it even if you have the indications for the drug use but also:
- Increased sensitivity to the components;
- Premenopausal period;
- Use of Tamoxifen or medications that contain estrogens;
- Severe kidney failure;
- Moderate to severe liver failure;
- Pregnancy and breastfeeding.
The use is possible but with caution and if a doctor approves in:
- Ischemic heart disease.
What adverse effects can be associated with the medication use?
The possible negative reactions include:
- Insomnia, drowsiness, anxiety, depression, headache, dizziness, paresthesia.
- Low hemoglobin, hypertension (severe dizziness, long-lasting headache), leukopenia with / without infection, thrombophlebitis, thromboembolism.
- Dyspnea, sinusitis, rhinitis, bronchitis, pharyngitis.
- Loss of appetite, nausea, vomiting, constipation / diarrhea, dry mouth.
- Rash, pruritus, polymorphic erythema, Stevens-Johnson syndrome.
- Hot flashes, vaginal dryness, vaginal bleeding, myalgia, arthralgia, chest pain, back pain, decreased mobility of joints, sweating, flu-like syndrome, peripheral edema, thinning hair and alopecia, hypercholesterolemia, increased levels of alkaline, weight gain.
Arimidex dosing regimen
The standard dosage for women including senior women is 1 mg orally once a day.
Women with impaired kidney function of mild to moderate severity do not need dosage adjustments.
Women with mild to moderate liver dysfunction do not require dosage adjustments.
Overdose of Arimidex
There are recorded only a few cases of overdose of the medication and none of them are fatal.
The treatment of an overdose implies vomiting, symptomatic therapy, and control over the vital signs.
- Medications that contain estrogens diminish the effect of Arimidex so they must not be combined.
- Tamoxifen must not be used with Arimidex as it can lower the effect of the medication. For instance, during the studies, when the medications were combined, it led to the lowering of Arimidex level in the blood by 27%.
If you take any other medications that are not mentioned here, you should still inform your healthcare provider about them when you buy Anastrozole and start using it.
Precautions to follow when using Anastrozole
- The efficiency of the medication is not proven in the therapy of non-hormone dependent breast cancer. It is only reasonable to use the medication after a prior positive response to the therapy with Tamoxifen.
- The effectiveness and safety of the medication combination with Tamoxifen is the same as in the use of Tamoxifen only so it’s unreasonable to use the medications together.
- In case a hormonal status of a woman is questioned, menopause must be confirmed by the determination of sex hormones in serum.
- In case of persistent uterine bleeding associated with the use of the medication, a consultation and monitoring of a gynecologist is needed.
- Any medications that contain estrogens must not be used along Anastrozole as they neutralize its pharmacological effect.
- The use of the medication causes the level of circulating estradiol drop which can cause the bone mineral density lowering. In patients suffering from osteoporosis or at risk of developing osteoporosis, bone mineral density should be assessed by densitometry (for example, DEXA-scan) at the beginning of treatment and in the dynamics. If necessary, treatment or prevention of osteoporosis should be initiated under the close supervision of a physician.
- It is unknown whether the use of the medication along chemotherapy has more positive effect than after the main treatment.
- Some adverse reactions that develop as a response to the medication such as weakness and sleepiness can influence the performance of potentially dangerous activities which require maximum attention such as driving, operating large machinery, and so on.
You can buy generic Anastrozole without a prescription from this web page. It can save you money both on the visits to your doctor and the price of the medication as we offer you a generic version which is identical to the branded drug but costs much less money. However, we highly encourage you to get and use the medication only after your healthcare provider prescribes or recommends it to you.
Our doctor prescribes online for free, and there is no doctor’s consultation fee.
All orders arrive in discrete unmarked parcels. We leave the shipment description blank.
For more answers see the FAQ section