Generic Medication guide:
What is the medication you can buy as Revia?
The medication sold under the name Revia is based on Naltrexone. The brand Revia is owned by the pharmaceutical company Bristol-Myers Squibb but the substance Naltrexone can be also sold under other names when made by other manufacturers. For instance, it is available under such names as Celupan, MorViva, Naltima, Naltrexone, Naltrexone, Naltrexonum, Vivitrex, and others. You can buy Revia sold under a different trademark to get basically the same drug but substantially cheaper.
Short drug info
ReVia, Vivitrol, others
EN-1639A; UM-792; N-Cyclopropyl-methylnoroxymorphone; N-Cyclopropylmethyl-14-hydroxydihydro-morphinone; 17-(Cyclopropylmethyl)-4,5α-epoxy-3,14-dihydroxymorphinan-6-one
US: C (Risk not ruled out)
Routes of administration
By mouth, intramuscular injection, subcutaneous implant
AU: S4 (Prescription only)
UK: POM (Prescription only)
In general: Rx (Prescription only)
The formulation blocks opiate receptors. It is resulting in the reduction or alleviation of the effects caused by use of opiates. It is used for the treatment of opioids dependence and alcoholism.
The medication starts to act in one to two hours after oral administration. When it is used with morphine, heroin or other opiates continuously, it prevents the development of physical addiction to these substances.
Naltrexone: 4 hours 6β-Naltrexol: 13 hours
The dosage of 50 mg of Naltrexone blocks the effect of 25 mg of heroin for 24 hours. The dosage of 100 mg - for two days, and the dosage of 150 mg - for three days.
The long-term use of the medicine doesn’t cause addiction or the lowering of the effect. When it is used with high dosages of opioids, enhanced histamine release is observed which is manifested in reddening of the face, skin rash, and itching. In individuals with opioid dependence it causes an episode of withdrawal.
When Naltrexone is used for alcoholism, it blocks the effect of endorphins related to alcohol consumption which results in lower alcohol consumption and prevents relapses for six months after a 12-week treatment course if a patient is willing to comply with the doctor’s recommendations.
When is Revia used?
You can buy generic Revia for:
- Treatment of opioid dependence;
- Treatment of alcoholism.
When the use of Revia is contraindicated?
The drug is prohibited to be used in:
- Intolerance of the medication;
- Opioid withdrawal syndrome;
- Positive opioids urine tests;
- Acute hepatitis;
- Liver failure;
- Treatment with opioid painkillers.
The use is possible at doctor’s discretion in:
- Liver or kidneys impairment;
- Pregnancy and lactation;
- Age below 18 years.
Use of Revia during pregnancy and lactation
The use of the medication during pregnancy is possible if the expected benefit is greater than risks. For the course of the treatment breastfeeding should be stopped.
How are Revia and its generics used?
Before you buy Naltrexone for either of the conditions it is indicated for please consult a healthcare specialist. We provide general instruction which can be adjusted by your doctor.
- Alcoholism is treated by the use of 50 mg every day once a day preferably in the morning. The initial treatment course is three months and it can be continued for as long as needed. The medication can also be used when needed, for instance, during holidays, celebrations, and so on. Naltrexone can be used when a person treated consumes alcohol but it is advised to find a qualified alcoholism treatment specialist to help the patient cope with the psychological addiction to alcohol.
- The treatment of opioids dependence is started on the 7-10th day since opioids withdrawal in case of lack of withdrawal syndrome. The withdrawal must be confirmed by the urine opioids tests. Treatment starts with a negative provocative test with 0.5 mg of Naltrexone. The test is not performed in patients with withdrawal symptoms and in the detection of opiates in the urine. The test can be repeated after 24 hours.
Treatment with Naltrexone is begun with caution, gradually raising the dose. Initially, 20 mg is prescribed orally in the form of a solution. If within one hour there are no signs of withdrawal, the patient is given the remaining daily dose of the drug (30 mg). The doctor should monitor that the dosage is swallowed.
After the initial dose is administered, 50 mg of Naltrexone is prescribed every 24 hours (the use of the dose is sufficient to block the effects of parenteral opiates, for example 25 mg of intravenously injected heroin).
The following treatment regimens can be prescribed instead:
1) 50 mg in the first 5 days of the week and 100 mg on Saturday;
2) 100 mg every 2 days or 150 mg every 3 days;
3) 100 mg on Monday, 100 mg on Tuesday and 150 mg on Friday.
During a clinical trial in patients took 800 mg of Naltrexone per day for 1 week, there were no signs of an overdose. If necessary, symptomatic therapy is prescribed.
What adverse effects can Revia and generic Revia cause?
When you buy Naltrexone and use it you can develop the following negative effects:
- From the nervous system and sensory organs: anxiety, nervousness, fatigue, general weakness, restless sleep, nightmares, headache, dizziness, blurred vision, irritability, anxiety, sleepiness, confusion, ringing in the ears, hearing impairment, pain and burning sensation in the eyes, sensitivity to light.
- From the cardiovascular system and blood (hematopoiesis): chest pain, raised arterial tension, irregular heartbeat, and others.
- On the part of the respiratory system: cough, hoarseness, nasal congestion, nasal discharges, sneezing, bronchial obstruction, shortness of breath, wheezing, nosebleeds, dry throat, increased mucous sputum formation, sinusitis, pharyngitis, and nasopharyngitis.
- From the digestive tract: nausea and/or vomiting, abdominal pain, diarrhea or constipation, frequent bowel movements, upset stomach, bloating, dry mouth, anorexia, enhanced or low appetite, taste perversion, erosive and ulcerative lesions of the digestive tract, aggravation symptoms of hemorrhoids, increased activity of liver enzymes.
- From the musculoskeletal system: arthritis, joint pain, stiffness in the joints, back pain, pain in the limbs, muscle pain, muscle spasm, muscle twitching, and muscle stiffness.
- From the genitourinary system: discomfort during urination, increased urination, swelling syndrome, sexual disorders in men (delayed ejaculation, low sex drive).
- Allergic reactions: skin rash, itching, flushing of the skin (including flushing of the face).
- Other: fever, chills, increase or decrease in body weight, increased sweating, lymphadenopathy, including cervical adenitis; reactions at the injection site (soreness, tightness, swelling).
Can Revia be used with other medicines?
Before you buy generic Naltrexone, check with your doctor that you don’t use any incompatible medicines:
- The medication must not be combined with other drugs that have a potent negative impact on the liver as they can mutually enhance each other’s toxic effects.
- The use of the medication with thioridazine can cause lethargy or increased drowsiness.
Precautions to follow when using Naltrexone
- Before the therapy is started, your doctor should exclude liver failure which can be present without any symptoms.
- During the use of the medication, regular monitoring of liver function is required.
- The drug must not be used with medicines that render toxic effect on the liver.
- To avoid the development of acute withdrawal syndrome, patients must stop the use of opioids 7-10 days before the therapy start. It is also necessary to conduct the opioids in urine test and a provocative test with Naltrexone. If these requirements are not observed, withdrawal symptoms can occur 5 minutes after the medication administration and last for 48 hours.
- If the medication is used at a time of urgent anesthesia with the use of high dosages of opioids, doctors must be informed as the respiratory depression will be deeper and longer.
- When a patient who uses the mediation seeks medical assistance, they must inform medical workers that they use Naltrexone.
- In case of urine darkening, pain in the abdomen, and/or yellowing of the eye whites, patient should inform their doctor immediately.
- Patients treated for opioids dependence must be informed that if they use heroin and other drugs in small doses, the medication will not allow their effect develop, and a further increase in the dose of narcotic drugs will lead to death (respiratory arrest).
Where can you buy Revia?
We offer you to order Revia in a form of a generic medication, i.e. the same formulation made by another pharmaceutical company at a fraction of a branded medication price. Besides, we sell the drug without Rx so you can stock on it and use it as long as you need without going to your doctor for refill prescriptions.
Our doctor prescribes online for free, and there is no doctor’s consultation fee.
All orders arrive in discrete unmarked parcels. We leave the shipment description blank.
For more answers see the FAQ section